This post contains affiliate links.
I'm not surprised. Not even a little bit. We always have one last snow (or two) after a little bit of warm spring weather. And in the winter, I LOVE snow. It was one of the reasons Dustin and I decided to move to the small mountain town where we now live. But snow, after a string of days with spring weather, is hard. The last day of school at our enrichment program was also a snowy morning (a week and a half ago.) Today is our last day of school (#172) for this year. It's snowy and still snowing. Woohoo, for summer break - in the snow!
One of the nice parts of homeschooling is that we could've had day #172 two weeks ago. But we didn't have to. We chose to play outside all day on those warm spring days. Because I knew (sigh) we'd have a at least one snowy day to stay inside, curl up, and read/write/math. And another handful of days that were just breezy enough with chilly mountain air that our playtime outdoors would be short. Those snowy and chilly days were perfect for finishing up our school year.
Another, fun homeschooling mom side note...
We homeschool year-round. So while our official day today is #172 (the number of days mandated by Colorado law) we are still going to be learning, doing, and living a life of education this summer. We will probably start our official day count for the next school year the end of July or Early August.
In the meantime, because we've established a family culture of learning all the time, we'll continue to:
- Read like crazy people (yes, the librarian and staff at our library know each of us by name and we have our own special shelf for "holds.")
- Watch documentaries and fun math shows we found on YouTube.
- Do science experiments.
- Build biomes. So far we've used this TOOB to start our arctic biome. The boys are excited to build all the biomes. The next two they want to work on on African grasslands and the rainforest, so we'll piece together our biomes using these TOOBs.
- Write a couple "books."
- Play board games. A couple of our current favorites are:
This is one I'm hoping to get and try out this summer since I have a couple map lovers!
- Cook and bake together (not my specialty, but thankfully my husband can easily step in here, since this is an area the boys love and want more of)
- Play Prodigy Math (most loved math game in this house!)
- Visit museums, parks, playgrounds, the pool, and the sprayground.
- Spend lots of time outside - once the snow is gone!
My youngest son just had a birthday. My oldest is about to have a birthday. Because of the birthdays, this time of year always makes me think about how fast they are growing up and getting bigger. It's bittersweet. It reminds me to enjoy the little things. Not to stress so much. To relax and cherish. This YouTube song has been circulating my Facebook news feed like crazy the past few days and it seems to be fitting for this time of year.
Usually I like to keep the blog more focused on ideas, projects, homeschool thoughts - not so much on my business. But today, I have to share because I'm excited! After lots of playing, designed, re-designing, waiting for shipping - I finally have my new business cards!
Lover of learning, books, coffee, traveling, and the great outdoors. Homeschooling mom of two funny, crazy, sweet boys. Wife to one wonderful husband.